Thursday, July 31, 2014

Wanderlust Wonderland

Sometimes I think about selling my possessions and traveling abroad for months on end...But then I snap back to reality and realize that is a ridiculous thought. 

What would I do for money? How would I afford such a lifestyle? Who would take care of my cat? Once those realities set in I reconsider the insane thought. 

But the other day I came across Albert Einstein's definition of insanity. 

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." 

Suddenly I realized, maybe ditching my life for an adventure wouldn't be so insane after-all. What's truly nuts is the mundane routine of my life. 

- Wake up at 7am (ish)
- Tidy up the apartment 
- Shower 
- Put on makeup, fix my hair 
- Pick out an outfit (A.K.A. Wardrobe Typhoon in my room) 
- Pack a lunch 
- Love up my cat before heading out the door 
- Drive in ridiculous traffic to work (Seriously Los Angeles, invest in some decent public transportation!) 
- Work 
- Drive home in ridiculous traffic (See note above) 
- Run 
- Make dinner 
- Love up my cat before heading to bed
- Bedtime 

BORING. 

While I have a few vacations to look forward to in the coming months, I can't help but wish I was brave enough to ditch the comforts of a normal life and live day-to-day as if seeing the world was my full-time job. 



It's exciting and dangerous (in a good way, not the fear for my life kind of way) and something I think would make me very happy. 

But then another reality sets in...the awareness that I'm not that kind of person. I don't often throw my inhibitions to the wind. I like having a plan. I like knowing a paycheck is coming. Though there's nothing wrong with that (I'm bias, of course) I find it depressing to know how much solace I take in routine.

I will continue to lust for adventure. And someday...I will continue to tell myself. Someday I will be sane enough, and brave enough, to do it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment