Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Who Ya Gonna Call?

I'm amazed at how often people feel they deserve compensation. Everyone these days seems to want refunds, vouchers, upgrades or cash back when something doesn't go exactly as planned. I most often see this angry child-like frenzy of "gimme, gimme, gimme" at airports. Flight delay? They want a discount voucher. And they want it NOW! Baggage lost? They want their money back and then some.

What the hell made us all so entitled?!?

I'm almost certain this concept applies to happenings outside the travel industry and it got me thinking about compensation in life.  Sometimes things happen outside of our control but what are we to do when these misfortunes occur? There is no customer service desk to take our complaints. No 1-800 number to call.

I thought about the number that I would dial in this type of situation and it hit me that the number happens to be the number of my very own, personal, customer service agent. This is the person who will listen sympathetically like the employee at the airline desk; the person who will say something to make me feel like the problem will get solved much like the business rep you would speak with on the phone. This is the person that will go above-and-beyond to make me feel at ease about the situation, and that person is my Mother.

Though she may not offer any freebie's or discount vouchers, my Mother offers her sympathy and her love.

And that's all the compensation I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment