Monday, May 2, 2011

Brain Warp

This evening I concluded my 15-week history course and I'm already bored. Yes, part of the reason for taking the course was an effort to curb my non-hobbyness (see The List) and refrain from boredom. Also part if it was because I'm oh-so-close to having a collegiate minor in history. Yes, I'm an American History Nerd with an unusual fetish for the private lives of Presidents!! Aside from that painfully honest moment I never really meant to share with the Internet universe, my goals were attained. I was never bored, always eager to complete my assignments and strive for top grades, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting an "A" in this one. (So this is what it feels like to be an "A" student...not bad!)

You know, there's something to be said about taking life one day at a time and I now firmly believe our education should be taken one course at a time! It was so delightful to have just one course zipping throughout my brain and to not have the final exam fear of history class somehow getting mixed in with some mathematical formula other academic area I was attempting to collectively master. Example: If A equals X and X equals C when divided by A, then C must be the year Branch Rickey signed Jackie Robinson to the Dodgers...huh?

I know at this age our brains are young and can quite literally hold a mountain-top of information but keep in mind, we are holding a mountain top of information in our brains!! Life is a bit more complicated these days with pop culture trivia (celebrity arrests, celebrity affairs, celebrity rehab visits), hit TV series' and Facebook updates to keep track of. Oh and lets not forget our ever growing shopping debt (It's not just me, right?), student loan payments, relationship dramas and endless job applications we have on our mind. Sometimes avalanches happen up there and information gets jumbled together. So why the rush to master it all, right this very minute?

Sometimes we get so much information we don't even know what to do with the information once we have it. Example: I have no idea how I got on this tangent, how to get out of it and what I was trying to make a point of.  I've just opened a flood gate of information in my brain and now I'm not sure how to process it...I suppose I'll be the first to follow my own new-found advice and take this revelation one thought at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment