Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Cheat Code

A long drive with my former roomie and current bestie brings on a lot of typical "girl talk" conversations, one of which included cheating. We're both guilty of the crime and I was stunned by her matter-of-fact honesty when she said she'd cheat again if she were to get back together with her college sweetheart. (Of whom we were zooming east to see.) Stunned isn't quite the right word, nor is pleasantly surprised, I guess in a way I was jealous (thought that's not the right word either) about how perfectly honest she could be not only about the matter of cheating, but about herself.  I suppose the right word is: intimidated. To know that much truth about yourself is one thing, but to be able to share it with others is an admirable quality, and I wish I had that.

Admirations aside the concept of cheating struck a new chord in my brain. We cheat on diets. We cheat on our looks (thank you make-up and spanx!). We buy cheat codes to get levels ahead in video game play.

With all the easily accessible cheat codes whirling around us, how do we keep relationships sacred from the cheat code? 

No comments:

Post a Comment