Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Manners Movement

Its become quite clear that my generation (filled with 20-something's at various stages of life) missed the manners memo. Perhaps their mothers (and fathers!) were too busy watching Jerry Springer re-runs or working overtime to be concerned with the fact they were raising bad-mannered offspring. No matter who gets the blame or who takes the blame, I'll be the first to admit my generation is RUDE.

I have yet to see a "Thank You" card when I go out of my way to ensure their 2-year-old brats got a Christmas or Birthday gift. Even sending them personalized gifts I find myself having to send a text message weeks later to make sure they recieved my package. My text reply is often something to the tune of, "Yep!"...still not even a text message thank you?? Come on people.

I don't know where or when people decided that other people aren't worth their time but it makes me feel a bit superior (if I can use that word) knowing that I have some class. Part of my Christmas afternoon tradition is to sit down and write Thank You cards to anyone who sent me a gift. It's been that way since I can remember and I'm very thankful my parents instilled that trait. To this day its part of my routine. If I receive something, I say thank you for it whether it be a snail-mail card, a text, sometimes even a Facebook message or wall-post will do.

Perhaps you're thinking, "Yes that's nice to send thank you cards but I'm just so busy it's hard to find the time.". News Flash: OTHER PEOPLE ARE BUSY TOO!! Think of what a hassle it is to go to the store, find something for someone else and then package it, mail it, and spend the money for all of the above. Though it is a hassle, someone thought so much of you that they went out of their way to do something for you...and if that's not a worth a thank you then might I frankly suggest: You weren't worth their time.

What makes my generation (probably multiple generations) think they are so above a simple Thank You? Are they that busy? Do they simply not comprehend that a Thank You is appropriate when receiving gifts?

I titled this The Manners Movement for several reasons. A.) To start a Manners Revolution in hopes of bringing Please and Thank You back into our vocabulary. B.) To address the fact that there's been a Manners Movement...but actually meaning the manners moved away. Far, Far Away.

P.S. Thank You for reading this.


No comments:

Post a Comment