Monday, March 7, 2011

Cover Letter Conudrum

Once upon a Blog rant I mentioned I plan to move to Austin, Texas. (Yee Haw!) Part of the reason to move is the fact there is nothing for me in the town I currently reside. No friends, dislike my job, and though the rent price is right, the weather is all wrong. My body was not made for temperatures below 75-degrees and I'm hoping Austin, despite a few cold days here and there, will satisfy my climate needs. This 2-feet of snow in March is just not cutting it...

So far the only hard decision about moving is the fact I will be giving up a great job. Throw out all the bullshit, the fact I'm not doing what I want to be doing, and the people who treat me like I'm incompetent, its not the worst job in the world and lets not forget I'm fortunate to even have a job.

I thought perhaps having a new job ready and waiting for me in Austin would make the thought of moving easier...but in this economy that's not the case. I've applied for at least five jobs and haven't heard back from a one. In my current work world filled with health insurance, sick days and paid vacations, am I really ready to pack up and move with no plan?

Even before I became an official college graduate I was applying for jobs all over the country. In fact, I think it's good to keep in the swing of job applications as you never know what might come along. I mostly apply for the practice but also with secret hope (and fear) I might actually get the job. So far this plan and positive thinking hasn't paid off. I've had only one job offer and I'm starting to get really tired of writing cover letters.

When it comes to writing my CL I never know what to say or how to say it without sounding full of myself or completely uneducated about the position. I've learned from reading student employee applications that some cover letters come off sounding very snooty while others don't impress me at all. I worry that my words come off all wrong when I spend hours (literally, this last CL took me 2-hours) to perfect them.

Perhaps some of my frustration today is the fact that all the past applications were just for fun, no pressure if I didn't get the job. These new applications however are jobs that A. I seriously want and B. I seriously need if I really plan to move to Austin.

If there is a Cover Letter Writing For Dummies book, I need it ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment