Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Mantra Moment

Last night boyfriend and I went for a walk. It was nice to get out of the house, away from the TV and the cell phones and the technological distractions and just walk with one another in nature. We talked a bit about life and decisions people around us are making. Specifically the choice, or non-choice, of having kids and getting married. I can't tell you how many people I've heard say something to the likes of, "We weren't planning to have kids but it just kind of happened." I call bullshit. There's no way pregnancy just "kind of happens". Have you seen the perfect timing it takes to create a child? The creation of life is just shy of a miracle and there are multiple ways to prevent it. I honestly can't stand it when people say, "I just figured if it happened, it happened". NO! That's not how it goes. If you're not doing anything to prevent a pregnancy than you clearly were letting it happen.

This notion lead me to the conclusion that some people just let life happen while some people go and make life happen.

I am the type to make life happen. I am in (almost) full control of my life and the direction I chose for it to go. While not always happy with the choices I make, I take full responsibility for the outcome instead of the "if it happens, it happens" route.  Some people do take the sit back and see what happens approach and to be honest, I'm not sure the payout of that route is that spectacular.  Also, I am way to organized and anal to ever let something be unplanned.

But seriously, what's the motive to just let life happen as you float through it? It's it sheer laziness? It is denial that you can't indeed take control of your life? This is the one and only life we get (on this Earth) and I don't intend to "go with the flow". I  take life by the horns and make the most of it because if I don't I'll forever regret the opportunities I didn't take advantage of.

So the question remains: to let life happen or to make life happen.
What kind of life will you choose to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment