Sunday, June 26, 2011

Nothing to hide but Myself

I'm dying to socially post something about my weekend but the main person I want to post about has access to my social networking so this is my only chance to vent. I've been waiting over 24-hours to let it out and let it go so here I go...bare with me.

I don't know how much inside info on the fam I've let air out on here but for backgrounds sake I will say I have a much younger half-brother who is a product of my father's second marriage to my step-monster. In the past I always got along with her and everyone on that side of the family...I do recall quietly accepting her rude commentary and ridiculously frank opinions but we never had issues until I was just about out of University and hitting my stride as an adult. I don't think it's jealousy or competition (which according to my Mom it is) but lately every chance this woman has to bash or hurt me in someway, she does it. And I'm tired of letting it affect me so terribly.

Little brother is currently on summer vacation and being the moody tween that he is, he's constantly mouthing off about being bored. You did it, I did it and now he's doing it. It's the summer vacation circle of life...and I miss it!! Anyway, it was suggested little bro come spend some quality bonding time with me in the super dooper boring town I call home. It was all coming together until a few hours later when step-monster says: "If he's going to come visit you I need to know if you're living with your boyfriend because then he's NOT coming." Not ever being one to hide the fact I calming said, "Well we live together." And she abruptly replies," Well then he's not going." Understandingly confused I asked why and she shot back, "Because you're not married so I don't want him at your house!"

Well heaven forbid I be unmarried at age 23. What the heck. It wasn't so much the reasoning that shocked me (though I'll explain why it kind of did) rather it was the tone of judgment and disapproval that made me suddenly feel like a leper. I understand she's trying to raise him to be a nice conservative boy with family values, etc....but hiding your own family's lifestyles from him seems so wrong. What's so wrong with me living with a boyfriend that I've been seriously dating for 3-years? I'm in a healthy and progressing relationship but feel I'm too young to be married. Why is that so forbidden? Furthermore, part of her justification was "Because he's 12!". Well here's a fun fact....I was 7-years-old when SHE moved in with my Dad BEFORE they were married. Hypocrite much?

It seems to me they were the ones to make the impression on me (via THEIR pre-marriage living situation) that it was acceptable to live with someone before marriage and now here I am being punished (via not being able to have my brother come visit my home) for living the way they taught me was OK to live in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment