Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dorothy Dare and the Renter's Remorse

We moved into our new apartment Tuesday and it still doesn't feel like home. We still have the old apartment until August 1st and there's a few things down there so I suppose that's a good explanation for why it's so easy for me to pick out the negatives of this place verses the positives of my new home.

Negative 1: Our apartment is on the outskirts of town way up on a hill in what I like to call "Apartment Land". There's no stores, no banks, no thing around us except for a bar about one mile away.

Negative 2: No matter which way we exit our apartment you go downhill (Funny thought: It's quite literally ALL downhill from here....I digress) Downhills not bad until you want to come back home and you have to go uphill. Winter is going to suck, especially since nor me or my car drive in winter.

Negative 3: We live on the second floor of a three story unit. I've always lived on the top floor of apartments so hearing footsteps (and heavy footsteps at that!!) above me constantly is going to take some getting used to. P.S. What the hell are they doing up there? It's only 574 square feet...they sound like they're running a marathon!

Negative 4: Our unit faces into the parking lot and directly over to the unit across from us. This means no more walking around half-naked and definitely not fully naked! Always keeping the bedroom blinds closed and also no more solo dance-offs in my living room....unless the drapes are closed. It also means I need to start pretending I have a green-thumb and get some plants on the balcony for a little privacy and non-concrete beauty.

Negative 5: We still don't have internet. We've been here for six days and I still cannot lock down a decent internet connection. I'm writing this using my mobile hotspot (laptop internet thanks to my phone!). Apparently our place is so new that the city hasn't wired for internet yet so no competition can get out here quite yet. I'm stuck with the crappy connection company or the huge corporation that I really don't like to deal with...May I also stress that while these places are fairly new, they are two years old, but according to everyone I've spoken to around here apparently that's as new as it gets in this town.

Negative 6: I feel bad I'm still having renter's remorse and I can only hope it goes away. I'm suddenly noticing apartment complexes that I failed to contact in my mad search for an apartment. I should brush it off but always being the one to find a bargain, I can't help but wonder if I just ripped myself off.

Ok, that's all the bad news...I'm now going to Google "Easiest plants in the world to take care of even if you leave them in the scorching summer sun for 10-days with no water". Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment