Thursday, January 6, 2011

"I Do"...Not.

The other day I had a conversation with my best friend from high school. She's married, has a baby, a house, and a full-time job. With her average American lifestyle it was only natural for her to ask me when I was going to marry to boyfriend, and when she did ask, I found myself reciting the pre-made laundry list of all the reasons why I'm just not ready.

I've been getting the marriage question A LOT lately and I don't understand why. Maybe it's because boyfriend and I have been together for somewhere over two years. Exact anniversary date is unknown...here comes the sarcasm: that's how great of a couple we are. Maybe people are asking because most of our "couple friends" are engaged, just got engaged, plan to be engaged, or are already married. Maybe people think we'll catch the marriage bug and as much as I hate to disappoint, I'm pretty sure I got a vaccine for that. No wedding inklings here.

Reciting my "Why I don't want to get married" speech for the um-teenth time got me thinking. Of all the reasons I can list for why I do not want to get married, I can't think of a single reason why I would want to get married. Is that normal? I'm young. I'm happy. I have plans for myself and someone to share those plans with. Why do I need a legal contract and an overpriced white dress to prove that?

To be honest, I'm leery of this whole marriage thing. I won't bust out the list, I'm tired of reciting it anyway, but I just can't make that kind of commitment, not right now. Blame my past. Blame my unhealthy love for "Sex and the City" but I'm just not sure. I've heard many times that when you meet your soul mate you just know, and marriage is the most logical decision you could ever make.

Well...I just don't know. So I'm not going to mess with anything until I do know. And then I can fall into my average American lifestyle. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment