Saturday, January 22, 2011

Party Pooper's R Us

Someone once told me that if a person refuses to get drunk they cannot be trusted. Hearing these words as a freshman in college came as a shock. I had never gotten drunk and the one time in high school I attempted to down a sip of Mike's Hard resulted in a scolding from the boy I had a crush on. Up to that point in my life, experience with alcohol was not off to a good start.

I remember immediately denying the statement the moment I heard it. There's no way that just because someone refuses to get drunk they are dishonest or hiding something. But now that I've gotten acquainted with alcohol (we grown quite accustomed to one another) and encountered people who refuse to drink it; I now have a firm belief in the saying that people who refuse to get drunk are definitely hiding something. 

To be clear, people who refuse to drink for religious reasons, or family history, or any other legitimate reason I do not hold accountable to this rule. But it's the people who have no excuse for not partaking in the fun that I find a bit questionable. I don't take it to the extreme that these people can't be trusted, rather I think they have a problem with trusting themselves. It's a personal issue. They are afraid to see and share who they really are. I was that way too so I do sympathize. It took a lot for me to give in and get drunk and aside from a few fuzzy memories, I turned out just fine. 

I'm not sure what the fix is to this party-pooper problem. Or if it's even technically a problem. Do these people ever come around and indulge in the social goodness of a dry martini? Or do they forever hold back and resist  the temptation to let loose and just see what happens? In my efforts to solve this party-pooper madness I'm taking it upon myself to have a drink for the lot of them....and hope that someday soon they'll join in the fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment