Sunday, January 23, 2011

Price Point

Slowly but surely I've noticed my taste (and hunger) for clothing brands improve a little with each passing year. A girl who once thought $14 was pricey for a t-shirt now has no problem spending well over $100 on a pair of to-die-for shoes I will wear for only a handful of occasions. I'm pretty sure this shift in spending has a lot to do with the fact that I have a job. It also helps that I'm really good at convincing myself I have a lot more disposable income than I actually do. Regardless of the credit card debt I can never quite pay off I find myself wanting the bigger, better, brand. The happiness that once came with a pair of Skechers can now only be matched by a pair of Loubotins. And that Express purse I loved so dearly is now quickly dismissed by a Birkin Bag sighting.

All these thoughts of clothing up-sell made me wonder about price points in relationships. The older we get, the higher our standards for quality brands and quality men become. Once upon a time we would have been happy settling down with the high school prom king. But now that we've seen what's out there, and seen the man equivalent of a pair of Jimmy-Choo's, can we help but want more? And what happens when we do finally get that prized possession we've been dreaming of and drooling over? Are we ever really satisfied when we know there's a higher price point to be had?

No comments:

Post a Comment