Saturday, January 1, 2011

We Must Dust

Yesterday I read a note from my Aunt describing how busy she is cleaning their house in preparation for 2011. She explained it is Japanese tradition to clean all the dust and dirt away from your home so as not to carry it into the new year. Her note inspired me to dust off my apartment and, in effect, my life.

As I tossed out old birthday cards, old clothes, and old love letters it got me thinking. How do we dust off our relationships to start fresh in a new one? There is no Pledge wipe for this sort of cleaning. No garbage bag big enough to fit all the emotional baggage of our past love(s). And no matter how hard we scrub away at the memories, good and bad, they will always be there... like a sale at Macy's. I wondered if this sort of "relationship dust" can fog up the next relationship; dirtying it from the very beginning.

Are we doomed to carry the dirt and grime from our past into our future? Can we truly start fresh with the dust of our past weighing us down?

No comments:

Post a Comment