Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ready to Defect

I'm super pissed at America right now. More specifically, I'm pissed at the Congressional Representatives who are seriously screwing up in the world of budgeting. I won't claim to be the most-educated person on any of the issues but I'm looking forward and these cuts have some serious negative implications for our future. Who are these people approving of these budget cuts? I did not vote for these people and if I did, I am seriously regretting that vote.

Proposed cuts to Planned Parenthood funding.

I've never personally used planned parenthood's services but I have several friends who have. Whether for a pelvic screening, family planning, or birth control it is a fantastic resource for women who either have no insurance, have no alternative or are trying to be responsible about their sex life even when mom and dad disapprove. Cuts to this institution will no doubt have a negative impact on the health and financial strain on America.

A. I guarantee unplanned pregnancies will skyrocket which in turn will cause strain on the welfare system from these mothers who now need financial help for themselves and their child (maybe even multiple children) for 18+ years. Kids aren't cheap, I am fairly certain it is a lot cheaper to prescribe some birth control pills (to prevent a pregnancy in the first place) than to expect taxpayers to foot the bill for the hospital bills plus 18+ years of welfare checks.

B. STD's will spread like wildfire. With no affordable/free alternative for women I'm guessing many will skip their annual pelvic exam...not like it's a treat to visit the lady doctor anyway (even with health insurance). With women skipping their annual exams and continuing to have sex at the rapid and random pace modern-America's do, STD's will spread like crazy and there's no stopping it. I'll admit, I found out I had an STD (curable with antibiotics thank god) that I never would have known about had I NOT gone to the lady doctor and been tested. There were no symptoms, I NEVER would have know, and now thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of women will be walking around with an STD that can and will cause serious health problems down the road if left untreated...not to mention spread to others.


Proposal to end funding for National Public Broadcasting.

This cut not only impacts National Public Radio (NPR) but it impacts Public Broadcasting Services (PBS) like Sesame Street, Frontline, NOVA, Clifford and also my job. Needless to say I'm a little bias and I've been social networking like crazy to get people to contact their congressional reps to fight for PBS. We need public broadcasting. In fact, PBS and NPR combined cost the government $1 per person in America each year. I think that's quite a deal considering all the entertainment and education you get out of public broadcasting. Plus, public broadcasting is FREE to anyone with a radio, car radio, or television with an antennae. You don't have to pay for public broadcasting like you have to pay for satellite or cable...it's FREE thanks in part to government funding and viewer support...but that's about to go away. About 75% of most PBS budgets comes from government funding, and with that money gone, you can bet there will be thousands of people out of work and hundreds of thousands out of luck if they were hoping to watch some educational TV....unless you consider Spongebob Squarepants to be educational television. I have no children but I greatly fear for the idiot children America is asking for by providing no truly safe and educational alternative.

I recently sent a premade email to my members of congress thanks to the 170 Million Americans For Public Broadcasting campaign for which I received this reply from Washington's 5th District Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers, "Since its inception, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting has received more than $9 billion dollars from taxpayers. In FY2011 alone, more than $430 million in tax dollars will be directed for public broadcasting. It is alsoimportant to remember that the Corporation of Public Broadcasting was established to bring information and content to Americans at a time when broadcasting was in its infancy. Now with internet, television, cable and satellite being more cost effective and easily accessible, families have many options to receive the information and content they want and need. To that end, I supported efforts to limit funds available in all facets of government spending including federal funding to the Corporation of Public Broadcasting.


At first I understood her reasoning. Yes $9 billion dollars is a lot of money from taxpayers. But now I'm rethinking her statement and have a few rebuttals for her ridiculous reasoning. 


A. Funding has been happening since at least the 1970's so $9 billion divided by 40+ years and millions of taxpayers really isn't that much. 
B. Public Broadcasting's mission is to provide neutral information to educate and entertain viewers. You can't tell me there's any other un-bias station broadcasting in America, and even if PBS isn't completely neutral 100% of the time, it certainly strives to be, and thats more than I can say for (cough cough) Fox News or John Stewart. 
C. While the argument that public broadcasting was funded to help during the infancy of television is valid, her alternatives for this service include the internet, cable and satellite. ALL of which you have to pay for. As stated above, public broadcasting is free...until this cut  eliminates it all together. 


At this point I have limited options to combat this ridiculousness happening in America.


1. Make myself a fabulous cape and save America one referendum at a time.
2. Defect to Canada, marry a foreigner to gain dual-citizenship, or establish my own colony on an island in the tropics
3. Go into Politics


I'm leaning toward Number 3....but only after I finish my cape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment