Wednesday, April 20, 2011

(Job) Security Breach

I might be a workaholic but I swear I don't mean to be. The truth of the matter is there are six full time staff members running two (yes two!) television stations and I wonder when our sinking ship will finally give out. I worked a 40-hour week plus a 30-hour weekend and my calendar tells me its not over yet. I have several looming 12+ hour days and though you might think its not the worst thing ever, it really is when you don't get paid for the extra work hours. I call foul but administration prefers to call it "overtime exempt". I hate loopholes.

I know times are still tough and people are working harder than ever to accomplish more than ever but you have to wonder who the hell thinks a television station, and two at that, can realistically survive with only six people to call on for help. Well, apparently someone does because here we are: 6 people, 2 stations and one giant meltdown about to occur. We're completely flailing and I don't know about my coworkers but I'm about to jump ship.

It's not that I don't enjoy the work but when I can never catch up it makes me want to throw my hands up and forget the whole thing. (I don't do well with stress....I become a hermit, and a grumpy one at that.)

I keep telling people that due to looming budget cuts I have no idea if my contract will be renewed, which is a true statement. I'm applying for jobs like a mad woman because of my prior reasoning but also because I can't stand this town or this job anymore. I'm overwhelmed, underpaid and not satisfied enough to grin and bear it for another year, especially when my happiness is on the line.

We just got another project added to our workload and though my coworker tells me, "It's job security for you!" I just don't have the heart to say, "Forget job security, I'm getting out of here!"

I mean really, what is "job security" when work is my prison?

No comments:

Post a Comment