Monday, August 22, 2011

My Battle Ground

Last weekend I attended the wedding of a former-roomie. She married my Ex-boyfriends-best-friend so mutual friends were at the wedding including my Ex and his new girlfriend. I wanted to look stunning (obviously) so many outfits were packed and makeup was done by a fabulous friend...best friend to be exact. I'd felt nervous for weeks leading up to the wedding due to the fact my ex and his girlfriend would be there and also that I was expecting the ex's family to be there as well...and they HATE me. It's a looooong story but pretty much it's always awkward when we're in the same vicinity. I'd tried to convince myself it would be fine and that I should just be super friendly and classy and it would all work out.

It kind of did work out but with one very disappointing outcome...with more to follow.

My boyfriend and I arrived at the wedding and said hello to those we knew. My ex was part of they wedding party and was busy taking photos with the group so we only gave a nod hello from across the gardens. His new girlfriend hadn't yet arrived so I was slightly at ease. The girlfriend arrived just before the wedding was to begin and since we all have mutual friends I introduced myself to her and she seemed nice enough...even complimented my (borrowed) dress. I went to be seated and enjoyed the wedding assuming the reception would be relaxed and that my boyfriend and I could go say hello to the Ex and his gf. NOPE.

The gf must have worked tirelessly to keep my Ex as far away from me as possible because I never saw them closer than 20 feet from wherever I was at any given time. I only wanted to say hello and wish them well but I never got the chance. Shortly before we left my boyfriend pulled me aside and said he had spoken to my ex and my ex said saying hello would not be an option because of his girlfriends demands. That was really disappointing to hear. I even tried to give him a quick high-five just to signal "hey, we're cool" and he said, "I can't, I can't.". Wow. Not even a walk-by-high-five?

Aside from the fact his girlfriend has some immaturity issues (we haven't dated for 5+ years...not like I was trying to have some deep private conversation or steal him away. I have my own boyfriend!) the fact that I couldn't say hello was very upsetting to me. And the more I thought about it, the more upset I became.

This was the first man I ever dated, kissed, loved, etc. He was a huge part of my life, a special part of my life and even though we no longer have feelings toward one another--I will always wish the best for him.

But I'm not even allowed to say hello.

To make me feel even more like a bastard child; I wrote on a mutual friends Facebook wall about how it was nice to see him and meet his fiance at the wedding and that if my boyfriend and I move near where they are we will have to get in touch...only to find that seconds later it was deleted.

I see where the loyalties lie....but I'm not even allowed to say hello?







No comments:

Post a Comment