Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Truth About Guilt Trips

Guilt trips might just be the greatest torture device ever invented. And my mother knows it. Several months ago, in an effort to save a few pennies (Yes I may be fabulous, but I'm a bargain hunter 'till the end!) I decided to purchase my flight tickets home for the Christmas holiday. I had spoken to my mother several times regarding the fact I would likely only see her and her new husband for a few hours on Christmas Day and she assured me it would be fine and that she would be busy with his family anyway. LIES!

Mother and I reconfirmed holiday plans the other night and needless to say, she's not okay with them anymore, and I don't know what to do about it. You see, holidays (Christmas especially) are a delicate juggle to please both sides of the parental unit. I'm sure many people struggle with this day. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE--and much too stressful these days when hey, I might have some plans of my own with boyfriend and his family. So I do the best I can and never quite please anyone it seems. Someone will inevitably have something to say to make me feel like a jerk. Don't you just love family?

My plan was to spend December 23-Christmas morning with Dad, step-monster and little brother. Little bro's birthday is the 23rd so I thought I would be a good sister and spend the day with him. Is that so wrong? He also happens to be turning 12, I know at that age Christmas really starts to lose its charm and wonderment so I want to see his last Christmas morning as a quote, unquote; child. Plus the fact I can't even remember the last Christmas I spent with them as I refused to leave my Mother alone on Christmas 'morn so I figured it was their turn. Mom's remarried now, so she won't be alone. I'm free to make plans how I see fit...oh, I was so wrong.

Unfortunately my flight home is on Christmas Day. I did this to also see boyfriend so he wouldn't be alone all Christmas. This leaves me 3-4 hours to see Mom and she's not pleased. She's getting, "The short end of the stick like usual and bah-humbugged, and, why do they see you for three days and I get three hours? That's not fair. Can't you come on Christmas Eve?? Can't you stay longer??"

A. My tickets are booked, it costs $100 to change my flight plans and the flights are full. Plus, like I said, I'm cheap.
B. Her wedding anniversary is the day after Christmas, I don't want to be in their way or watch them be lovey dovey while boyfriend sits alone on Christmas! EW!
C. F-M-L.

This is the woman who last year got married the DAY AFTER Christmas. I was at her beck and call that whole week and not able to even enjoy a moment of my holiday, infact I clearly recall saying, "I'm not doing Christmas next year its too stressful for me." But here I am, buying plane tickets and taking vacation days from work and listening to gripes about how I'm not doing enough.



I booked a trip home for the holidays but missed the small print that said, "FREE GUILT TRIP INCLUDED".

No comments:

Post a Comment