Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ring-A-Ding Ding

I think I am getting a ring for Christmas. Not THEE ring...heavens no! I've told boyfriend many times over that if I get THEE ring I will say "no"...unless of course it's the $30K Harry Winston ring that I would do almost anything for, even get married.

I have no objections to getting a ring for Christmas, anything with bling or a 3-inch heel I will accept with a smile. I just worry that it's one step too close to saying "I Do". Even if its not THEE ring the fact that it's A ring symbolizes a lot to others and to myself.

The last ring I received was a promise ring from my first love, boyfriend #1. It was beautiful and I treasured it dearly. When our promise of eternal love to one another didn't work out I gave the ring back. I felt it was better to return his promise of loving me forever than to keep it as a constant reminder of heartache.


A ring is a big gesture, whether of promise or engagement, it is a token of love and commitment between two people. Though I will be able to accept a ring and value the commitment behind it, I fear the meaning of it is tainted from my past.

All I want for Christmas is to let love in.

No comments:

Post a Comment