Monday, February 14, 2011

To Be THAT Girl

Fact: Today is Valentine's Day. Fact: I told my boyfriend I didn't want anything.
Fact: That last fact is true AND false all at the same time.

True, I did tell my boyfriend I didn't want anything for Valentine's Day. And also true, the moment those words came out of my mouth I knew I was lying. It was all an effort to be the cool, carefree girlfriend who doesn't ask for anything, but I'm a fake. I do want something. You see, I'm the girl who always says I don't want anything. Now when I say I don't want anything what I really mean is that I am expecting you to be totally thoughtful on your own and get me something...even though I said I didn't want anything. It's one of those mind games that no woman, or man for that matter, has ever figured out how to win and although we find ourselves playing a losing hand, no woman has given up on the game completely. This game is clearly some sort of failed training device for men but we women refuse to get the hint and end up paying for it in the currency known as: disappointment.

The other side to this lose-lose situation is I'd like to be able to say I want something but I can't be THAT girl. Who wants to be the demanding girlfriend who says exactly what she wants? Though it makes us sound confident and decisive, (and lets be honest it would save a lot of confusion on that man's side), odds are it will come off as bitchy and controlling. And who wants to be that? I would LOVE to say I want flowers and *POOF* there they'd be in a vase on the counter, but if it were really about the flowers and really that politically simple, then heck I'd just go buy myself a bouquet.

The thing is, it's not really about the flowers, or the candies, or the Mercedes Benz parked in my driveway. OK, that last one is just fantasy, I drive a '98 Jetta. But what it's really about is someone thinking that you're special enough to deserve something special. And I want to be THAT girl. The girl my man thinks deserves the world because I'm just that lovely, and because I didn't ask for it. And that's a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment