Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rice Bowl Miracle

Yesterday I realized I am comfortably in love. It happened over a bowl of rice, pork fried rice with basil to be exact, and though there wasn't anything particularly life changing about the moment, it was a moment that struck me as real love.

The night before this realization boyfriend and I went to a bars grand re-opening. We'd gone there a few times before, it's a decent bar and we know the bartender so we're kind of obligated to make an appearance every once in while. (Kind of like celebrities but we don't get paid for it and no one cares to take our pictures we arrive....) Anyway, this bar had reinvented itself (how Madonna of them) to be more of a nightclub so we went to check it out. My favorite thing about this bar is it's also a Thai food restaurant and their pork fried rice with basil and 2.5-stars is to die for. So after a few $5 drinks and definitely feeling the drunk munchies, I ordered a plate. I savored a few delicious bites and like a TLC-Hoarder I packed up the rest to go home.  Flash forward to yesterday, I excitedly heat up the leftovers and plan to enjoy the whopping bowl of heavenly rice to myself. Right as I sit down Boyfriend grabs the bowl to help himself to my rice and for the first time ever, I didn't care. This may be a bit cave-woman of me but I'm generally very protective of the food I buy. The fact that I didn't care he had some of my food told me right then and there we are in a real relationship. What's mine is his and I'm kind of OK with that.

I think I try and hold up a wall of indifference to love. I'm not interested in marriage and I struggle to make myself believe I might actually settle down with boyfriend. I'm also indifferent to being single. There's so many jerks, creeps, douche bags and weirdo's out there to deal with I'm a little hesitant to dip my toe into the singles pool. And though I'm overprotective about my food and am not particularly fond of sharing everything, I could see myself getting used to this rice-sharing idea....and maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment